Thursday, December 23, 2010

Joining the Wild and Scenic River System: What does that even mean?

Wild & Scenic Waterfall: Big Brother on the White Salmon River, WA

I said it to my kayak instruction students and rafting clients countless times this summer.

"Oh yea, the White Salmon is a Wild & Scenic River" (confidently nodding as if it was so obvious what this means that I wouldn't even bother elaborating).

Just a few of Oregon and Washington's Wild & Scenic Rivers

When it comes down to it though, I have no idea what this means exactly.

Obviously it means that some type of imaginary conservation blanket covers the twisting river through canyons and farmland. Perhaps it prevented the construction any sort of obstruction, like a dam, along the free-flowing river. It might even mean that the river met some higher standard of water quality.

Still, too many questions remained for me to be able to truthfully make this statement to my guests.
  • Is the whole river protected?
  • What does 'wild' and 'scenic' actually mean?
  • What about the Condit Dam downstream?
  • Is some agency/organization/group actually managing this river?
  • Why is this river so special?
So I found out.

In the article Part I: Wild and Scenic Rivers Act in Oregon and Washington, I explain the answers to all these juicy questions.

If you have ever enjoyed the flowing water of a "Wild & Scenic River" I suggest you check it out. Educate yourself on the rivers you love and maybe one day you will be the one to stop their destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment