Thursday, June 17, 2010

Trail Running in Washington's Finest


After questioning enough local endurance fiends about trail running and pulling together all the information, I found a gorgeous and intense trail only 5 min from work. (That's 10 minutes from home).

Just past Northwestern Lake, our local kayak instruction spot and take-out for the Middle White Salmon rafting trip, there is a mountain. I knew there were mountains around here but it seems as though the grandiour of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams caused me to overlook the ones in my backyard.

Bouncing on Red Rock Canyon Floors in Arizona, December 2009

A similarly great find in Sedona, AZ.

First, I drove a friend to the top for a downhill bike shuttle. He had kindly taken me and friends up to the put-in for the Green Truss a few days earlier. And it took forever. The road kept bending and climbing for a solid 10 min. longer than I expected.

Next I ran into a friend, returning from a run up the same mountain. After some general directions to trails, I found a trailhead and went with it.

Running along a clear blue creek then slicing up the lush mountainside, my legs just couldn't stop turning. I would cross another trail, wanting to turn to explore but also feeling pulled ahead. Next time, I'll go there, I would tell myself. The air seemed to be filled with the crispness of the dew still on the bright green foliage.

It doesn't take much to find some beauty around here that I can go and run around in.

No comments:

Post a Comment