Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Vasisthasana in Arkansas: I-40 Yoga Trip Review

Vasisthasana

Reading and pronouncing a yoga pose in Sanskrit are often harder than the actual pose. This is Vasisthasana, or Side-Arm Balance. To be more specific, it is Vasisthasana in Arkansas.


The vinyasa (a sequence of several yoga poses that loosens up the spine) that I practiced on the cold, stone Arkansas Visitor Center sign might have been the only yoga I have ever done in Arkansas.

While on our I-40 Yoga Tour, my sister and I outright neglected Arkansas' yoga opportunities. Instead, Megan got a lesson in driving a standard transmission and I rode my longboard around a parking lot. The state just had some bad luck. It was a long day behind the wheel and we decided not to stop between Oklahoma City and Memphis. Next time Arkansas.

This pose has come up several times since I've arrived in the Yoga Mecca of Asheville. Anusara trained instructors Meghan and Joe at West Asheville Yoga and Asheville Yoga Center clued me in to a different perspective on my alignment here. By drawing my hips back, as if to stick out my butt then curling the tailbone under I was able to pull in more stability from my core. This allowed me to breathe deeply and open my torso and heart to the sky fluidly, without loosing my balance.

It was exciting in my own nerdy-yoga way.

Moral of the Story:
Stability can originate in the center and spread throughout the body with the fluid connection of deep breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment