Thursday, July 2, 2009

attraction of knowledge

An decent update from my time here in China is in the works (considering computing and connecting issues are abundant in this part of the world), but just a quick note of excitement...



i was given this book by a friend over a year ago not aware of how perfect it would fit into my life only a year later.  I forget the original context of the recommendation, but Carl bestowed 1491 to me aparently with the idea that it was a book i needed to read, or should read or even would like to read.  Now, as a high school history and biology teacher who strives to present the most accurate, controversial and thought-provoking material to my students, Charles Mann's words repeatedly spark my thought processes. 

The obvious connection can be made to my American History curriculum.  Although I must follow a set curriculum, I find an explanation of the past critical to understanding the present.  Themes involving imperialist actions of different cultures, both foreign and domestic, combined with resources analysis and explanation of the former natural enviroment allow questions to be presented involving the nature of man.  World History correlates even more so by drawing conclusions regarding populations and cultures unknown to much of recent historical analysis.  The author even presents biologicla concepts as case studies.  This type of evidence demonstrates the connection of these concepts to the real world throughout time.

Can you tell I'm excited?

I hope books like this keep falling into my path.  They are often the most valuable to me at the present moment and thus more meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment