Sunday, June 7, 2009

New Landscapes

After no more than a week spent in Colorado, some time with Grandma in the big city as well as Aunt Margie and George in Idaho Springs, Megan decided to take me on a vacation to Moab, Utah. Since I had never been and all. And since she was sick of living out of her truck in the cold/rainy/snowy weather Vail just kept dishing out.

Keeping with tradition we leave late in the evening, keeping the canyonlands hidden in the night alongside I-70. We immediately drive up to a place called Gemini Bridges, quickly gaining elevation as she weaves her car along the 4-wheel drive path cut into the mountainside. Vehicles on the highway below turn into matchbook cars, then disappear altogether. The whole time, my mind is painting pictures of what I imagine the view to be.

I wake up the next morning to this.

With no others camping in the area, we hung out in our personal canyon all morning. Simply soaking in the sun, reading, exploring and relaxing.

Megan's new truck couldn't fit her lifestyle any better. Equiped with kitchen shelves, a comfy, carpeted bed and even a "princess lair" she can basically go anywhere and still be at home. Oh, and rarely do we travel without a box of Delicious Red.


Driving out of Gemini Bridges exposed the amazing landscape, with aerial views of Arches National Park and the snowy peaks of the distant mountain range (whose name I can't remember). Amazing.



Hanging my feet out the rear of Meg's truck while driving around the canyons. Kind of like my own viewing window. 10 times better than TV.



The desert is a landscape I look forward to exploring more in the future. So raw and stark, with bursts of life in the most unlikely locations. I hope it begins with some trips down the classic rivers that carve out the canyons in this part of the country. Lucky for me, some good new friends call this part of the world home and might be excited to share it with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment