Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Done and Done.



Graduation day and now its over. It felt as abrupt as that sentence. Now I’m reminding myself what it is I do with myself when no one is planning out my day for me.



Mornings of review or finals and afternoons of surfing comprised most days throughout the week. The group also came together to beautify our home base, Crystal Springs, by laying stones for a walkway that circled around to the side of the house. Looking at the finished project, I am amazed at what you can accomplish with 13 students and 5 teachers shoveling, leveling, hauling and fitting.



What do you do when stressed? Jesse plays dress-up.



After the flurry of finals week slowly came to a close the weight of classes was lifted off the student’s shoulders. They began to feel summer’s presence and the end of a semester of experiencing, traveling, paddling and living the dream getting even closer. Many were only just beginning to process what just happened, most will take the rest of their lives to fully appreciate the time we have spent together. I know I will.



Erik and Jerry Johnson


Parents began to arrive, hugs and stories were exchanged and good food was eaten. As a teacher, it was fun to play the Who-Belongs-to-Who game. Facial features, mannerisms and, of course, nametags all gave it away pretty easily.

Graduation platform, overlooking Alberton Gorge



I happened upon help, yet again. Sam’s dad, Stan Makman the Orthopedist, examined my shoulder offering advice and help as to how I can continue treating it. Next came Amy the physical therapist, Dave Zinn’s girlfriend, who moved my shoulders in every way possible and sent me a plan to begin more intensive therapy for it.


Thank you world. I needed that.


Now there is this overwhelming sense of freedom. First, celebration. Graduation and LJ's birthday. Best in the West, Sushi and probably ending at Charley's. Where else?



No comments:

Post a Comment